Self Sufficient Design
There are several terms like Green building, Autonomous, Sustainable, Self Sufficient building / house, which may have different meaning and interpretation; we uses the term Self Sufficient in the sense of a building or house off grid, energy efficient, with means to grow your own food, manage waste, minimizing dependence from public services and a building that allows to live by your own in case of emergency, disaster or war.
Sky-Side is working on a Self sufficient house project in a one acre land in the agricultural area of Richmond, BC. This project involves not only the design of an energy efficient house but the development of sources of water, power, food, heat for winter living and disposal of waste. All these need to be accomplish minimizing the ecological impact and with cero depletion of agricultural land. The project is to create an affordable, healthy and comfortable living for a family of four.
To accomplish a self sufficient design Sky-Side engineering group is looking after affordable ways to have:
- Vertical Hydroponic Gardening (fish and vegetable garden)
- Solar and wind power
- Rainwater Storage and waste management
- Passive Lighting and Climate Control
- Urban Livestock Farming
Established in 2004, Sky-Side provides engineering and construction services related to Building Envelope & coatings for new or existing buildings. For existing building we offer services for the inspection of buildings envelope or facade, engineered solutions to issues, repair, renovation, application of elastomeric coatings, pedestrian traffic coatings, vehicular traffic coatings, epoxy coatings, and waterproofing coatings. Our services for new buildings include building enclosure design and consulting. Elastomeric coating / painting of building envelope, application of liquid waterproofing to eyebrows, traffic coating on balconies and rooms, traffic coating on parkades, epoxy coatings, application of energy efficient systems and application of self sustain building systems.
Our Building Envelope Design and Consulting Group investigates, evaluates, designs / engineer repair solutions and provides construction / repairs work to all exterior building envelope components including roofs, walls, windows/glazing, caulking, coating and waterproofing. We specialize in all issues related to material deterioration, moisture intrusion and assist owners in the process of inspecting no accessible areas of the building envelope or façade, design solutions to specific issues, repairs and restoration. We help as well architectural firms and clients with peer review consulting on new construction projects. We also provide forensic and expert witness services, and preventative maintenance programs. Our clients include private sector commercial and institution users, as well municipal agencies.
Our business is permanently updating. Building envelope systems as well as coating material and techniques are constantly evolving in search of better performance, less cost, and more elegant appearance. This makes the design, procurement and construction of the building envelope a highly technical and complex process for which the demands of a building envelope specialist’s knowledge are needed. Next to the structure, building envelope construction is often considered to be the highest risk of any project.
On the engineering side of our business we provide services including but not limited to:
- Inspection of buildings envelope / facades, roof, wall, window/glazing, sealant, coatings, concrete failures and waterproofing issues.
- Evaluations and investigation of failures and design solutions.
- Structural engineering related to building enclosure renovations and repairs.
- Construction phase assistance
- Building enclosure management and maintenance programs
- Building envelope inspections
- Commissioning on new construction and renovations pertaining to air and moisture control, vapor drive, thermal insulation, (infrared test) and related exterior enclosure issues.
- Concrete restoration, repair, protection, and structural strengthening
- Green roof coverings and photovoltaic systems
- Forensic evaluations related to premature failure of construction assemblies
- Design of energy efficient systems
- Design of self sustained buildings
On the Construction side of our business we provide services including but not limited to:
- Traffic coatings, vehicular or pedestrian
- Epoxy coatings
- Elastomeric coatings
- Exterior painting on high rise buildings (highrise no accessible areas)
- Caulking and sealant restoration and application in new or existing construction
- Concrete repairs on building envelope
- Full restoration of building envelopes
- Application of waterproofing coatings for tanks, pools, water features,
Our service areas in BC includes: Vancouver, Burnaby, New Westminster, West Vancouver, North Vancouver, Deep cove, Horse Shoe Bay, Squamish, Whistler, Port Moody, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Mission, Surrey, Richmond, BC, White rock, Boundary Bay, Langley, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, Hope, Pit Meadows, Victoria, Nanaimo, and all other cities in BC Canada.